Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Chamber of Commerce.
Hollis is frequently the first stop for island visitors; it is the site of the only ferry terminal on Prince of Wales Island. The only ferry terminal on the island is at Hollis, which makes it the first stop for any ferry travelers to Prince of Wales Island. Hollis was a mining town during its beginnings around 1900. Both gold and silver were mined here. The mining continued until about 1915 when the mines closed. The closure of the mines caused the town to literally be abandoned.
Ketchikan Pulp Company received a 50 year timber contract and placed its first logging camp at Hollis. This camp served as the base for their operations on Prince of Wales Island. In 1962, the camp was moved to Thorne Bay. From a high of around 1,000 residents in 1900, Hollis now has about 100 residents. The ferry terminal and the floatplane dock are the services available in Hollis.
History for Prince of Wales Island:
The island has a long history from at least 8,000 years ago. The Haida lived in the southern third of the island about 300 years ago. The northern portion was inhabited by three Tlingit kwans or tribes. The Haida and Tlingit people were very different, but both highly developed.
The Europeans first came here in 1775 with the arrival of Don Juan Francisco Bodega Quadra of Spain. Soon after came the British explorers. Captain James Cook and Captain George Vancouver both explored the area in the late 1700's. Vancouver charted much of the area. Wide-spread commercialism did not really begin until the 1800's. The mainstays of that economy were fishing, mining and logging. With the addition of tourism, they remain much the same today. Among the ores mined on the island were gold, silver, zinc, lead uranium and palladium.
Return to Index
It is the location of the Alaska Marine Highway System ferry terminal. Hollis is an unincorporated community accessible by road, ferry, boat or float plane
Return to Index