Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Blount County, Alabama
Bear Meat Cabin/Blountsville was the first settlement in Blount County. The town was established by Caleb Fryley and John Jones in 1816 as Bear Meat Cabin. The post office was opened in 1821. Blountsville was incorporated December 13 ,1827. It was the county seat until 1889 when the government was moved to Oneonta. There were many schools in the town in the early years - The academy, Blount College and The district Agricultural School plus the public schools. Blount County Court house and jail was built in 1833 and remained there until it was moved to Oneonta. Blountsville was very involved in the Civil war with General Forrest and General Streight fighting in the town. The Blount College was in the building that was originally the court house. It was established in 1890. Blountsville United Methodist Church was established in 1818 and the beautiful church is still in use today.
the site of the Civil War event known as the Forrest-Streight Raid which occurred here in May 1863. Every first week end in May this event is re-enacted here.
Return to Index
The Copeland-Bussey house built in c. 1835, is one of theoldest structures in northeast Alabama. It is representative of thedwellings of farmers and shareholders of the mid nineteenth century. Lewis usedslave labor to burn the bricks used and build the structure which also served as a stagecoach stop and inn. The structure has been stabilized by theAlabama Historic Preservation Alliance and the Blountsville HistoricalSociety.
The Freeman House, built circa 1825, was damaged by a storm and the 2story brick dwelling was rebuilt, using the same bricks, into a one story. The porches face the historic Bear Meat Cabin Rd. still apparent and the other porch faces the U.S. Highway 231. Annual re-enactment is held on the grounds. The structure has been renovated by the Blountsville Historical Society and now serves as a museum and visitors center on a part-time basis. During the reenactment it is furnished with period furnishings and is open to the public for tours.
The Thomas Nation House, circa 1835, is now a ruin due to a stormthat took all but one and one half walls down in 1998 before it could be stabilized. The ruins can still be seen from the U.S. Highway 231.
Return to Index
Faculty & Staff 2/2000
Gary McGill, Principal
Alan Hargett, Assistant Principal
Mary Nichols, Counselor
Black, Ginger, Brindza, Betty, Brindza, Bill, Ginger Black, Betty Brindza, Bill Brindza, Chris Chambers, Phillip Cleveland, Chris Davis, Leigha Dobbs, JoLynn Finch, Judy Fincher, Jeff Gibbs, John Gibbs, Wilda Kretzschmar, Blake Leeth, Steve Love, Dianne Martin, Melissa McRae, Greg Neill, Grant Nichols, Mary Nichols, John Nolen, Dianne Pinyan, Myris Robinson, Jackie Sivley, Renae Skillman, Jennifer Smith, Patricia Smith, Billy Vaughn, Tina Wynn
J. B. Pennington High School is composed of grades 7 - 12 and is a part of the Blount County School System. The school is located in an area that is generally rural, yet has course offerings that are directed toward both the students that will not seek further schooling after high school and those who will attend some type of other schooling. The administration and staff are open to new ideas and will do everything possible to make the school experience both interesting and worthwhile.
Miscellany The population of Blountsville was:
1990 - 1,527
2000 - 1,800