Page Contents for Waverly, Alabama
Statistics & Facts
Statistics & Facts
The Alabama state capital is Montgomery.
The population of Waverly is approximately 152 (1990), 145 (2010).
The approximate number of families is 78 (1990), 72 (2010).
The amount of land area in Waverly is 5.099 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0.026 sq kilometers.
The distance from Waverly to Washington DC is 655 miles.
The distance to the Alabama state capital is 49 miles. (as the crow flies)
Waverly is positioned 32.73 degrees north of the equator and 85.57 degrees west of the prime meridian.
Waverly Schools Waverly Schools
921 Terrace Acres
Auburn, Alabama 36879
Phone: (334) 821-2258
History of Waverly Schools
Compiled by Helen Walton Roberts
The first public school in Waverly was in what is known as "The Red School House". This was a two story building that stood between the present Waverly United Methodist Church and the Baptist Church. No Records have been found to indicate when this building was constructed. A "History of Waverly" left by M.H. Brawner (deceased) indicated that during the war between the states, W. J. Saxon came to Waverly. He was well educated, having graduated from college with ex-Governor Samford. Mr. Samford taught several terms during and after the war between the states. Dr. B. S. Bruce taught one year in addition to having a medical practice in town.
From the dairy of Mattie Calla Edmondson, she quoted the following:
Arthur Holstun, who taught in Waverly, is now (1902 when written) teaching in Leeds, Alabama.
T. W. Smith, who taught in Waverly, is now (1902) Superintendent of Schools in Tuscaloosa.
In 1913, the Masonic Lodge, known as Wilson-Shealey Lodge No. 485, purchased the old Red School Building. Minutes from The Chambers County School Board meeting of October 15, 1913, Lafayette, Alabama, indicated that the following people were local board members: J. O. Webb, Dr. H. L. McClendon, T. O. Walton, M. S. Andrews, O.O. Hinkle. D. S. Robertson Jr., L. A. Trimble, G. W. Foster and W. C. Orr. The same minutes indicated that Vonceil Beaty and Mary Ellis were contributors to Waverly and New Harmony Schools.
In April of 1921, a storm hit Waverly. The Baptist Church on one side of the "Red School House" was completely demolished. The Methodist Church on the other side was badly damaged and had to be propped up on the east side with several pine logs. The Red School House was left standing. This building stood until 1946, when it as sold by the Masons to Otis Moreman Sr. It was then dismantled.
Contribute information for this community or any other community on the Key To TheCity website
Be sure to include the name of the community and its state when contacting Key to the City as you are NOT directly contacting this community.
Thanks for visiting Key to the City. Come back again! Soon!
The information on Key to the City is from multiple sources including government, commerce, libraries, individuals and organizations. There is no guarantee of the accuracy or timeliness of the information presented on these pages, therefore, please use at your own risk.