Waverly Alabama School Profile and Resource Guide, City or community of Waverly, Alabama Schools, Colleges, Universities and Facts, Information, Relocation, Real Estate
KEY TO THE CITY - USA City Directory
Top USA City Resource Guide
Waverly, Alabama Schools
921 Terrace Acres
Auburn, Alabama 36879
Phone: (334) 821-2258
History of Waverly Schools
Compiled by Helen Walton Roberts
The first public school in Waverly was in what is known as "The Red School House". This was a two story building that stood between the present Waverly United Methodist Church and the Baptist Church. No Records have been found to indicate when this building was constructed. A "History of Waverly" left by M.H. Brawner (deceased) indicated that during the war between the states, W. J. Saxon came to Waverly. He was well educated, having graduated from college with ex-Governor Samford. Mr. Samford taught several terms during and after the war between the states. Dr. B. S. Bruce taught one year in addition to having a medical practice in town.
From the dairy of Mattie Calla Edmondson, she quoted the following:
Arthur Holstun, who taught in Waverly, is now (1902 when written) teaching in Leeds, Alabama.
T. W. Smith, who taught in Waverly, is now (1902) Superintendent of Schools in Tuscaloosa.
In 1913, the Masonic Lodge, known as Wilson-Shealey Lodge No. 485, purchased the old Red School Building. Minutes from The Chambers County School Board meeting of October 15, 1913, Lafayette, Alabama, indicated that the following people were local board members: J. O. Webb, Dr. H. L. McClendon, T. O. Walton, M. S. Andrews, O.O. Hinkle. D. S. Robertson Jr., L. A. Trimble, G. W. Foster and W. C. Orr. The same minutes indicated that Vonceil Beaty and Mary Ellis were contributors to Waverly and New Harmony Schools.
In April of 1921, a storm hit Waverly. The Baptist Church on one side of the "Red School House" was completely demolished. The Methodist Church on the other side was badly damaged and had to be propped up on the east side with several pine logs. The Red School House was left standing. This building stood until 1946, when it as sold by the Masons to Otis Moreman Sr. It was then dismantled.
| Search Key to the City
| Search All the Web
To learn how to submit USA City information to Key to the City, go to Publication
Advertise on Key
to the City
Use your back button to return to the previous page
To go to a new state, choose the States page
Return to the USA City Directory - Top USA City Resource Guide