Search our site or anywhere on the web
31 July 1936
Interviews with teachers, Principal, Mrs. Salyers
The Colonists organized the first schools. The Colonists
did not wish to wait for the formal organization by the administration staff.
The first day of school on the colony was Monday, November 5, 1934. The teachers
were chosen from among the colonist families and were 5 in number. The first
few days of school were taught in the ----- section of the old kitchen. Teaching
was done without pay. In December, two more teachers were added to the staff,
to replace the colonist young people who had been doing the work. From December
5, 1934 to May 1935 the staff consisted of 4 teachers.
The major problem was one of room and something upon which to sit. Benches were constructed after the school had been started about a week. The school was soon transferred to one of the completed houses and tables were added to the equipment; these were flat-topped tables and the benches were without backs. During the holidays, the flat-topped tables were remade into tables with tops slanting downward from a midpoint. 12 or 14 children could be seated along one side of these tables, one table affording desk space for 14 of 18 children.
During the first year, the children walked to school
and attendance was fair for those in the grades higher than 3rd; the smaller
children found the distance too great on stormy days.
From interviews with one of the colonist teachers:
It was hard to do much teaching. Some of the children
had been in school; some of them had never been in school. But with these first
attempts, the school tradition was established in the Colony. The problem of
discipline has not been great until this year when the school became so greatly
overcrowded. One of the problems was fighting among the girls as well as the
boys. Some minor disagreement in families would be carried to school and become
the basis for fights among the children of the families involved; or sometimes
differences among the children on the school grounds were carried back and caused
differences between families.
The toilets have always been a problem, in the matter
of keeping them clean and sanitary. The janitors have always felt that it was
not a part of their job, and the teachers, naturally, feel that it is not theirs.
Books were a major problem in the winter of 1934-35.
There were only a few and most of the work had to be done with a paper and pencil.
After the arrival of the new principal in December 1934, he ordered books sufficient
for the children then attending, and a few extras. The number of children soon
exceeded the number of books. The schools were without blackboards until Jan
From interview with Superintendent, Spring of 1936:
The first Superintendent Of schools began work October
1, 1935. He immediately began replacing colonist teachers with regularly accredited
teachers. He established a school at House 238, which cared for children in
first five grades; another at House 213, which cared for children in the first
six grades, with two teachers in each school. A third School was established
at Old Commissary Bldg, which also cared for children in the first six grades,
taught by three teachers. All the teachers were regular accredited. In December
1935, the first Superintendent was replaced by the present Suptindentent. (Mr.
Womack resigned during the summer of 1936) At this time, the schools were increasingly
crowded with the coming of children of new families and expansion was greatly
The new superintendent installed an entirely new system.
1- The seventh grade which had been cared for in the greatly crowded schools
outside the Colony, were accommodated on the Colony: 2- The trucks were used
to transport the children living more than 1 1/2 miles from the Center: 3- The
new system consisted in the establishment of two schools at the Old Center-
one in the Old Commissary Bldg accommodating the first and second grades and
one in the old bunk House accommodating the first, second and third grades;
The third school, housing the sixth and seventh grades was established at House
No 213 near the Center.
The schools at the Old Center were especially over-crowded;
on the day observed, there were approximately 225 children in attendance in
rooms at the Old Bunk House, a building approximately 30 feet wide and 70 feet
long; this building was divided into three rooms with a teacher each-in one
room were 83 children, and more than 65 in each of the other. Children were
seated at long slant top tables on benches. Considering the crowded condition,
the order in the room was especially praiseworthy.
The school year consists of 180 days with a week's
vacation at Christmas. During the spring of 1936, the schools were closed for
10 days because of the prevalence of influenza in the Colony. There are 1386
children under 16 years of age. 514 are under 6, yrs or 8 yrs of age and not
yet in school; of the 514, 136 will be of school age in the fall of 1936. Since
March 1936, there have been two teachers in the first grade, all other grades,
one teacher each.
There seems to be, three classes of children; those
who can't read and write, and cant seem to learn; those who are normal at the
start but are retarded through lack of opportunity; and those who are ready
to be promoted to the next grade. The teachers have been told not to grade too
closely, but to promote as many as possible until an adjustment has been made.
The decision is left entirely with the teacher. There is no compulsory attendance.
On the whole the attitude of the parents is the same.
The first school was started by parents.
Submitted by Everett Henson
|Search Key to the City||or
Search anywhere on the Web
Return to the Dyess
Community page on Key to the City
Return to the Arkansas state page.
To choose a new state, return to the Key to the City Home Page - Top USA City Resource Guide and Cities Directory
This page was last updated on 17 July 2012 at 11:45 pm
Thanks for coming! Don't forget
to come back soon.