Chamber of Commerce.
Redlands was named for the red color of the earth here. It seems that in 1880, a Riverside newspaper editor was riding along the slopes of the eastern San Bernardino Valley with the town co-founder, E.G. Judson. The editor made the suggestion that the town be named for the red soil. For many years it was known for its naval orange industry. The area's economy has expanded greatly in recent years to include many more industries than agriculture. The other founder was Frank E. Brown who met Judson here in the late 1870's. They laid out the city and irrigation and introduced the Washington naval orange. It wasn't long until Redlands was known for its delicious naval oranges and was nicknamed the "Naval Orange Capital of the World."
In 1889, Alfred and Albert Smiley came to town from New York. Their presence in Redlands made a great impact on the city. They were known for their philanthropy, donating land for a park and a public library in 1889. The Clarance G. White Family and the Robert Watchorn Family also made large donations to the city
Redlands was the first city in the country to have a center divider medianin a roadway.
The Redlands Bowl
See a brief history of the Redlands Bowl.
No admission charge for concerts
Redlands Community Music Association, Inc.
P.O. Box 466
Redlands, California 92373-0141
Office: 909 793-7316
FAX: 909 793-5086
San Bernardino County Museum
2024 Orange Tree Lane
Please call for hours of operation.
Redlands Symphony Orchestra
1200 E Colton Ave
Redlands, CA 92374-3755
Historical Glass Museum
1157 Orange Street
P.O. Box 921
The Historical Glass Museum Foundation was organized in 1976 by a group of dedicated glass collectors, headed by the late Dixie Huckabee, with the ultimate goal of establishing a glass museum on the West Coast.
Lincoln Memorial Shrine
125 W. Vine Street
www.redlandsweb.com is All Things Redlands. This is a great site with a tremendous amount of information about Redlands and the area.
The Redlands Historical Museum
housed in the old city hall, which was built in 1940 next to Smiley Park.
30 Cajon Street
Mission San Gabriel's San Bernardino Rancho - Asistencia
A San Bernardino County Museum Historic Site - California State Historical Landmark #42 26930 Barton Road
Redlands, CA 92373
Please call ahead for hours of operation Established in 1819 as part of the Mission San Gabriel's Rancho San Bernardino, this Estancia was upgraded in 1830 by Mayordomo Juan Alvarado when he built a 14 room complex of adobe and wood. The Estancia was abandoned in 1834. The rancho was then granted to a family group in 1843. Jose, del Carmen, one of the brothers, lived here until 1851. The Mormons who came to the San Bernardino area purchased the Rancho from the Lugos in 1851. They subsequently founded the city of San Bernardino. The area then began to be known as the Mission District. The Estancia was purchased by Dr. Benjamin Barton in 1859. He lived in the original buildings until his own new home was completed in 1867. Eventually, the land and buildings had gone to ruin. The county finally obtained the rancho from the Barton family in 1925. They began a renovation and re-building of the rancho that was completed in 1937. It became a State Historical Landmark in 1960.
Return to Index
Redlands City Clerk
30 Cajon St # 4
Redlands, CA 92373-4710