The area was originally part of the large land grant given to Luis Maria Baca in the 1600's. The Baca Grant was purchased and subdivided in 1971 by the Arizona-Colorado Land & Cattle Company. Utilities were installed and roads were built for thousands of lots. By 1979, the developer became disillusioned by poor sales and gave up on further sales. However, Maurice STrong, a principal shareholder, came to visit the property and inspired by what he saw. He then offered up portions of the land to build spiritual centers which did begin to be built. Though much of the area is for sale at this time, there are a number of spiritual centers still operated by various faiths. Much of the rest of the grant is now part of the Great Sand Dunes National Park, the Rio Grande National Forest and the Baca National Wildlife Refuge.
During the late 1800's, gold and silver fever ran rampant in this area. Crestone grew up in one of the areas that actually did produce ore. The town was platted in 1880 by George Adams, the owner of the Baca Grant. A short lived stamp mill was built, but the ore ran out too soon. By 1900, a railroad spur was built from Moffat to Crestone and then further south. The build, Adams, hoped to connect with all the mines but there wasn't enough ore to keep the line going. The area now houses a number of spiritual centers. The town has few business and lodgings and a golf course at Baca Grande.
Return to Index
Number of Housing Units:
1990 - 52 2000 - Population Density:
2007 - 359 persons per square mile
Median House Value:
2007 - $ 142,862