Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Bibb County, Georgia
31204, 31210, 31211
Middle Georgia human history begins about 12,000
years ago with Native nomadic hunters. The Ocmulgee National Monument
traces this history from the nomads to the great mound builders.
English traders established a trading post in the area around 1690, but
it was burned in the Yamasee Wars of 1715. The first permanent United
States installation, in the area where Macon is today, was Fort Hawkins
1806-1828 built to overlook the ancient native ceremonial lands, the
Ocmulgee River, and the Garrison or Federal Road. The fort was a
trading and training facility. At times it was occupied by as few as
seven soldiers. At other times 1,400 Native Americans met here for
annuity payments from the United States, and 2,500 Georgia militia met
Andrew Jackson's Tennesseans to travel the Garrison Road to Mobile and
later to the Battle of New Orleans. The fort provided security for
settlers, so a community named Fort Hawkins quickly grew around the 1.4
acre stockade. It was here that the area's first newpaper "The Bulldog"
began. "The Bulldog is the "grandfather" of today's "Macon Telegraph."
The first area post office, the first Anglo-American birth, and the
first Anglo-American cemetery were here. The community was later called
New Town. It was here that early settlers designed and planned The City
of Macon. The fort was built on Native American land, with their
permission, and was later used in treaty negotiations that led to the
removal of Natives from Georgia to reservations in Oklahoma.
For more information on Macon's War of 1812 Fort Hawkins, contact Georgia Military College @ Robins AFB 478-327-7375 or firstname.lastname@example.org. GMC Robins will answer your questions or direct you to specific Middle Georgia historical groups who can.
Return to Index
Fort Hawkins, Macon's Birthplace, is a War of 1812
frontier outpost. Groups tours of the reconstructed blockhouse are free
and are available by calling Georgia Military College @ Robins AFB
478-327-7375 or emailing email@example.com
Free public openings are one weekend during April and one weekend during September.
934 Georgia Ave.
Macon, Georgia 31201
A national Historic Landmark, this Italian Renaissance Revival mansion was built from 1855-1859 by William Butler Johnston, the keeper of the Confederate Treasury. With 18,000-square-feet in 24 main rooms, the mansion features magnificent 18th and 19th century furnishings, Italian Carerra marble fireplaces, marbleized finishes and exquisite stained glass. House has been featured on the Arts and Entertainment Channel's "America's Castles" program. Open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. Guided tours begin on the hour with the last tour at 4 p.m. daily. Museum store. Closed major holidays. Admission charged.
Return to Index