Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Baldwin County, Georgia
Chamber of Commerce.
Visit a few of the Historic Sites in Milledgeville.
A Brief History of Milledgeville and Baldwin County - In 1803 Baldwin County was formed by the Georgia Legislature and named for Abraham Baldwin, US Representative (1788-98), US Senator (1799-1807), and author of the charter for the University of Georgia, the first state chartered American university. The fourth capital of Georgia, Milledgeville was named for John Milledge, Governor of Georgia (1 802-06), US Senator (1 806-09), and donor of the land for the University of Georgia. Situated on the fall Line of the Oconee River, Milledgeville was chosen because of its central location and ample springs. The town plan drew its inspiration from Savannah, Ga. and Washington, D.C. and included four public squares with streets laid out in checkerboard fashion. Street names derived from current Georgia counties, which with two exceptions were also the names of Revolutionary War generals. Lots were sold to raise funds for the Statehouse and other public facilities. The Statehouse Square, the highest point and former Indian ceremonial site, was chosen for the capital building. Two churches, First Presbyterian and St. Stephen's Episcopal, also occupy this square and at one time First Baptist and First Methodist had sanctuaries here. Georgia Military College (1879), a preparatory school and two-year junior college, today utilizes the Gothic-style buildings. The Penitentiary Square where the state prison was located from 1817-1868 now houses the county courthouse and the main campus of Georgia College & State University (1889), a four-year school in the University System. Memory Hill Cemetery was planned for church use and at one time had two sanctuaries there. The fourth public square was planned for the government house but was not utilized until recent years with the building of Georgia College & State University dormitories and a convention/athletic complex. Milledgeville, as the political center of Georgia from 1803-1868, attracted many notable Georgians, renowned visitors, and several newspapers. Secession was declared here in 1861 and from here, Gov. Joe Brown directed Georgia's participation in the War Between the States.
When Gen. Sherman passed through Milledgeville in November 1864, he seized the town for two days, burning government buildings but sparing most residences. With the removal of the capital to Atlanta in 1868 during Reconstruction, Milledgeville experienced an economic decline. By the late 19th and 20th C. improved lighting, streets, telephone, and water supply encouraged new building and commerce. The results of a slow-growing economy contributed to a wealth of well-preserved Federal-style architecture, enhanced by noteworthy Greek Revival, Victorian, and Classic Revival houses.
Return to Index
Milledgeville is an award-winning Main Street City
Milledgeville MainStreet the Downtown Development Authority Milledgeville MainStreet - the Downtown Development Authority.
John Marlor Arts Center
201 N. Wayne St.
Milledgeville, GA 31061
Old Governor's Mansion