Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Ida County, Iowa
November 10 1882 - the initial lots in Holstein were sold and the town platted. The first train had finally arrived that fall and vital transportation would now be available.
In 1879, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Thielmann had purchased prairie land in Ida County one mile east and one mile north from the present town of Holstein. At this location a combination saloon, blacksmith shop, and dance hall was built. This area was widely known as the "German Settlement." As it was halfway between Ida Grove, Iowa and Cherokee, Iowa, it became a favorite stopping place for travelers, and while the railroad was being built, the Thielmanns often boarded 30-40 railroad men. Mr. Thielmann also sold land.
In 1882, the railroad was completed through the area. The depot was to be built two miles from the "German Settlement," so the town was platted with First Street running parallel with the railroad.
Jochim Thode became the first mayor of Holstein and also suggested the name "Holstein" in honor of the province in Germany that had been the homeland for so many of the residents of the new town.
From the Holstein Centennial Book 1882 - 1992
Return to Index