Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Sangamon County, Illinois
Dawson was located near an old Indian trail, the general course of which was from Clear Lake, Illinois to Buffalo Hart, Illinois as the main Campground was just south of Buffalo Hart.
The village of Dawson was named after Hon. John Dawson, a member of the "Long Nine." Mr. Dawson was Captain of a Co. from Sangamon Co. in the Blackhawk War of 1831 and 1832. John Dawson and Abe Lincoln were two of the Nine men mentioned in the "Long Nine." Dawson was incorporated in 1883. At a meeting of the town council on Sept. 3, 1883, the petition of the Citizens of the Village held the first election to elect a Mayor, T. W. Bracken and two trustees, Duncan Ross and Abner Wheeland. A town Clerk, A, N. Jones, was also elected at that time. We now have a government consisting of a Mayor, six trustees, Village clerk, treasurer and Water Company Supervisor. We are sole owners of our Water system which over the period of years has spread throughout the country area south and west along the Mechanicsburg Blacktop.
In our early days there was a booming mining town with three grocery stores, a church, a
school house, a blacksmith shop, barber shop and post office. The Wabash railroad ran
along the south side of our Village. To the west of the depot was the stock yard to which the farmers used to send their herds. During WW 11, the troop trains would run through and the children of the Village would run up and wave to the soldiers as they went by.
Return to Index