Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Carroll County, Indiana
Located in Jackson Township, which was sold in 1830 for $ 1,500. Sixteen acres were reserved for laying out a town plat. Early on, John Snoeberger ran a post office in his home a mile west of what is now the town. He named the post office "Camden." At that time, the postal service was responsible for naming the town.
Camden was originally laid out as a row of buildings on either side of a dirt road. By 1832 it had five buildings. The nickname of "Stringtown" came about in 1837 because it had only one street. Since then, there has been growth and more streets have been created. Camden has remained small and at its peak had just a little over 800 residents. Many of the larger businesses that once were in Camden have closed down as their owners passed on with no one to take over.
It is still a quiet place to live. People know one another, and take care of each other. Many of the families have long genealogical roots in the area. Settlers came here from
Pennsylvania and Ohio in the late 1820's and early 1830's, and old family cemeteries attest to them being the first non-Indian owners of the land. Among them were Snoeberger's, Wise's, Zook's, and Kennedy's. More history is available from the Camden Public
Library and the Delphi Public Library (Carroll County Seat).
(information taken from the "Town of Camden" book)
Return to Index