KEY TO THE CITY - USA City Directory Top USA City Resource Guide
|Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For |
The Indiana state capital is Indianapolis.
Return to Index
The population of Monroe City is approximately 538 (1990), 545 (2010).
The amount of land area in Monroe City is 0.697 sq. kilometers.
Return to Index
Monroe City history:
In 1856, Monroe City was first called "Nashville." The post office, though, was named for the Lovelydale School which caused locals to also call the town "Lovelydale." After a new Indiana law requiring a town to have the same name as its post office, the residents needed to find another name. There was already a Nashville in Indiana. They decided to honor Monroe Alton who sold the first lots to Alexander Leslie on August 29, 1856. By 1900, Monroe City has a population of 688 with many businesses. Phone service began about 1 April 1901. In 1908, there was a plan to build a railroad through Monroe City. Stock was sold and construction was begun, but the rails were never completed for some unknown reason. Electricity came to town on June 7, 1922. Natural Gas was first used in 1930. Monroe City High School was built in 1910. The last graduating class from this school was in 1967 as it was absorbed into the South Knox The upgraded building was still used as an elementary school for several years. The Monroe City School is now being used, as of September 1, 1999, as a community building and is called the Blue Jean Center.
Contribute information free for this community or any other community in the USA
Be sure to include the name of the community and its state when contacting Key to the City as you are NOT directly contacting this community.
Learn how to advertise on Key to the City
Choose a new community in the state of Indiana
Thanks for visiting Key to the City. Come back again! We'll leave the light on for you!