Page Contents for Stanley, Louisiana
Statistics & Facts
Weather & Climate
History & History-related items
Statistics & Facts
The Louisiana state capital is Baton Rouge.
The population of Stanley is approximately 149 (2005), 107 (2010).
The approximate number of families is 63 (2000), 45 (2010).
The amount of land area in Stanley is 5.678 sq. kilometers.
The amount of land area in Stanley is 2.2 sq. miles.
The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers.
The distance from Stanley to Washington DC is 1095 miles.
The distance to the Louisiana state capital is 196 miles. (as the crow flies)
Stanley is positioned 31.96 degrees north of the equator and 93.90 degrees west of the prime meridian.
Stanley elevation is 312 feet above sea level.
Stanley per capita income is $ 19,083 (2000).
Stanley median income is $ 31,477 (2000).
The Stanley median home price is $ 85,800 (2000).
in northwest Louisiana
near the Texas
border and Toledo Bend Lake, just south of Mansfield
. Other nearby communities include Logansport
, South Mansfield
all in Louisiana
, both in Texas
Return to Index
moderate with sunshine most of the year. Humidity tends to remain high year-round. A small amount of snowfall may occur in mid-winter.
Return to Index
History & History Related Items
Stanley was originally known as Oak Grove. The name was changed on 22 April 1953 when it was incorporated.
This page has information and a picture about the old Oak Grove High School that burned in 1925.
Return to Index
Stanley City Government
Stanley is an incorporated village governed by a Mayor and a Board of Aldermen. Here is a page for the current government officials
Stanley Historical Events 1957
The local high school changed its name to Stanley in September of 1957.
New Locker plant built.
Lula School - 1st through 6th grades - transferred to Oak Grove.
Locker plant destroyed by fire
1953, April 22
Oak Grove was incorporated on 22 April 1953. The name was changed to Stanley.
Stanley was once known as Oak Grove. This is a list of teachers for 1950 through 1951:
Allen H. Plummer, Dan Bailey, Ouida Spurgeion, Glady Norris, John Elkins, Mary Christain Elkins, Walter Hollingsworth, Hilda Creech, Mrs. J. H. Lewing, Allie Sermon, Gertie Gregory, Ruth Fair, Mrs. Lynn G. Hollingsworth.
This is the Senior Class of 1951:
Don Sims, Jackie Ray Rascoe, Roy Austin Smith, Tommy Gene Hatcher, Lawrence O'Neil (Toots) Pierce (Deceased), Virginia Palmer, Wanda Faye Smith, Betty Jean Reese
It would be great to hear from more classes of Oak Grove High School!
Submitted by Austin Smith
12th grade added and new brick elementary school built.
Locer plant built
School lunch program started
WPA built the gym.
Lula School - the 7th through 11th grades - transferred to Oak Grove.
Two new buildings were built, the high school building and the old grade school building, which burned in the spring of 1943.
Two story building burned. School was held in Jack Stanley and Erastus P. Sims homes.
Oak Grove graduated two seniors. They were issued diplomas:
1. Hazel Bowden
2. Lewis Hayden Christian
The principal at the time of graduation was S.L. Turner. The Superintendent was O.G. Houston.
In 1919, Oak Grove graduated two seniors. Drinking water was used from a spring branch. Mrs. Statham Austin (Georgia Rowe Austin) taught at Hickory Grove and later at Hunter School.
Schools consolidated into Hunter High School. Residents of the area at this time were: English, Whitlock, Barbers, Laffite, Smith, Young, Bas, Spears, Daniels, Metcalf, Elliott, Temple, Derrick, Rogers, Magness, Mannies and Fountain.
Three students finished school and were given certificates, not diplomas.
The students were Lillie Murphrey, Gladys Roberts (Mrs. Gladys Bates, brother-Horace) and Eva Coday (Wyatt) - death: 26 Sept 2004 at age 102.
The school was consolidated in 1907 on the old school site to a two story building which was a grade school until 1919.
Four schools were consolidated in Oak Grove
1. Hickory Grove - on John Booker Road - 1889
2. Old Oak Grove on William Roberts Road
3. Cook School on David Road - now the Fire Tower Road
4. Old Russel School on Fire Tower Road, near the Newton Temple Homeplace.
The school remained a grade school until 1919.
Residents of the area were: Buckhanans, Rucker, Lees, Moseley, Dr. Johnston, Jim H. Hunter, James David Hunter. The Post office-Hunter School, one-room "Kirkley" school are located where Newton Temple's house is located.
Cowpens was established. Mrs. Mary Pugh was the owner. This was a cattle stop for cattle drivers coming from Texas. Cowpens was located east of the present site of Oak Grove School. This was the first settlement in De Soto Parish, Louisiana.
Stanley High School
Once known as Oak Grove High School. Several undated pictures of the school and related buildings.
The population of Stanley was:
1990 - 131
2000 - 145
2005 - 149
Stanley may have a Logansport mailing address. The zip code is shared with Logansport. It is located in the central time zone.