Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Hampden County, Massachusetts
Bondsville is a village of Palmer.
St. Bartholomew's Church here was built in 1879. It was 120 years old as of 1999. Originally a gray church, it is now painted white and sits at the end of Main St. It is the only Catholic church in the town of Palmer without a bell tower! It is one of the oldest churches in the village of Palmer.
There was an old mill which burned in 1968. Fire trucks had to come from Westover, but there were no fire hydrants at that time in Bondsville and the river was at a low point so the pumper truck could not get the water. The mill was left to burn and what little water they had was used to water down surrounding structures. The fire could be seen for miles around. There is a fire station in Bondsville which currently has three pumpers: a 1969 Maxiam, a 1981 Ford Pumper and a 1998 Pierce pumper Fire truck.
On Main Street, Bondsville also contained a Catholic French Missionary, which the priest from St. Anne's Church in three Rivers came out on Sundays to say mass for the French people here. It is now a green and white house. Across the St. Bartholomew's Church, there is a gray house and on the Main St. side, there are windows almost touching the sidewalk. There was also an old gun shop there.
Saint Bartholomew's Church picnic is always on the second to last Sunday of August.
Bondsville Ma has a beautiful horse water trough in the middle of an intersection on Main St. built in 1912. The trough is filled with flowers or a Christmas tree. This trough is maintained by Steve Golas (1999).
Return to Index