Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Lenawee County, Michigan
Addison was founded in 1834 by Michigan pioneer John Talbot, who assisted in building a grist mill along the banks of Bean Creek. This site did not generate enough water power to operate the mill and about 1 1/2 years later, moved his settlement to a better site, 1 1/4 miles west to the village's present location. From 1834 to 1852 Addison held seven names, after whoever owned the grist mill.
Addison J. Comstock purchased much of the land in town in 1852 and renamed it Addison. The village grew substantially with the coming of the railroad in 1884, leading to its incorporation in 1892. By 1900 Addison boasted 42 businesses. In 1905 a spacious schoolhouse was built to accommodate the growing number of students. The school was burned by an arsonist December 20, 1924, but was rebuilt bigger and better the following year.
Addison continued to grow despite the railroad leaving town, and in the 1950s and 60s there came the construction of two new schools, a new bank, and several factory buildings.
By the 1980s, Addison's business count had reduced to 30. The old grist mill was razed in 1980. Its sesquicentennial was observed with a 3-day celebration in 1984. In 1998, Addison's population is 630, with around two dozen businesses and a K-12 school enrollment of around 1300 students.
Submitted by Daniel Cherry, Village historian/author, sources incl. Addison Courier, 1884-1960
Return to Index