Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Wayne County, Michigan
River Rouge Historical Museum
10750 W. Jefferson Ave.
River Rouge, Michigan 48218
(Formerly Gallagher Funeral Home)
Built in 1928 by the Gallagher family specifically for a funeral home.
Closed in the late 1970's and converted to office space by the Whitehead & Kales Co. When Whiteheads closed in the 1980's, National Steel bought the building for their computer center. It was donated to the City of River in 1998 and opened as a museum. The museum features parlor furniture and stove from 1890, pictures of people and events from 1914 to present, various items of sentimental value to a "Rougeite" and more.
Museum is open Sundays from noon to 4:00 pm. For further info., contact the Mayors office at 313-842-4200.
River Rouge's Belanger Park
Belanger Park is the 9.5-acre flagship park of the City of River Rouge's recreation system and offers the city's 10,000 residents their only public access and view of the Detroit River. It is located in the heart of industry yet provides an excellent recreational facility on the river for residents of River Rouge and neighboring communities, and employees of area industries.
Recent restoration efforts have made the park an attractive, waterfront retreat offering access to the Detroit River for boating, fishing, and picnicking. The city initiated a two-phase, $ 1 million restoration of the park in 1997 and completed the improvements in 1999.
Today, patrons will find a waterfront gazebo, two picnic pavilions, a walking path surrounding a play area for children, and parking and restroom facilities. Belanger Park is now used extensively year-round for fishing, and on summer weekends the boardwalk is crowded with spectators and anglers. From the boardwalk, park patrons enjoy spectacular views of the Detroit skyline and freighter traffic.
Return to Index