YOUR KEY TO THE CITY

US Facts       Footsteps of History       It Happened Here      
Mottos, Slogans and Nicknames       Noted Notables


Home     SEARCH THE INTERNET



Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Ashley
Delaware County, Ohio

ZipCodes
43003




Page Contents for Ashley, Ohio

Statistics & Facts

History & History-related items

Historical Events

Libraries.

Schools.



Statistics & Facts

The Ohio state capital is Columbus.
The population of Ashley is approximately 1330 (2010).
The approximate number of families is 419 (1990), 503 (2010).
The amount of land area in Ashley is 1.33 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers.
The distance from Ashley to Washington DC is 342 miles.
The distance to the Ohio state capital is 29 miles. (as the crow flies)
Ashley is positioned 40.40 degrees north of the equator and 82.95 degrees west of the prime meridian.


History & History Related Items

Settlement of this area
One of the first settlers in the Delaware County area was William Sharp. William Sharp was born in Virginia. In 1809, he lived near Norton for three or four years. He then joined the army and headed north to Sandusky, Ohio. In 1814, after the war he married Sarah-Boyd. She was adopted by John Duncan. He built a cabin for his wife. William Sharp could not resist going to hunt. He knew the Native American's languages. He died in 1861 and is buried at the Marlboro Cemetery. Around when Sharp arrived in Norton, Henry Foust came and married May Olds. Her father's name was Confort. He was probably the first settler in the Windsors Corners area. Others gradually moved there. There were still many Native Americans in the area. The Native Americans were all gone from Delaware County by the middle of the 1830s.
This information was researched and written by four third grade students at Buckeye Valley East Elementary School in Ashley, Ohio. It was done as part of a study of the history of Ashley, Ohio.
Return to Index


Ashley Historical Events

1972
Margaret Fling
A spiritualist minister from Ashley, Ohio was nominated for the 1972 Nobel Prize for religion. Margaret Fling was the minister at the White Lily Chapel in Ashley. She founded the church in 1922. It started with a small prayer group in her home. Every Wednesday, the congregation holds a public dinner in the church dining room.
This information was researched and written by four third grade students at Buckeye Valley East Elementary School in Ashley, Ohio. It was done as part of a study of the history of Ashley, Ohio

Ashley Libraries

Wornstaff Library
302 East High Street
Ashley, Ohio 43003
Phone: 740-747-2085
Hours: Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm Weekdays 10:00am-8:00pm
Librarian: Emily, Liz, Vicki, Karen, Barb, Anne
The first library in Ashley, Ohio was built in 1928 as a memory to Albertus Wornstaff, the son of Chesley and Ethel Wornstaff, who died in 1903 at the age of 27. When the first building was completed, the residents donated books and the library board purchased new books. Landscaping was done by the Ashley High School.

The teachers at Buckeye Valley East Elementary use the library for thematic collections and as field trips for their classes. Children's librarian, Vicki Collins also performs book talks at the elementary school and for home-schoolers in the area. During the summer the library has an elementary reading program and they offer a tutoring program for children.
This information was researched and written by four third grade students at Buckeye East Elementary school in Ashley, Ohio. It was done as part of a study of the history of Ashley, Ohio.

Ashley Schools

Buckeye Valley East Elementary
522 East High Street
Ashley, Ohio
Phone: 740-363-2253
The school in Ashley may have had its beginning in about 1828. One of the early teachers included Daniel Granger. He taught during the winter of 1829-1830. He was paid only twelve dollars per month! He also taught in Delaware and had Rutherford B. Hayes as one of his students. The New York Central Railroad extended it's lines in the direction of Ashley in 1850. Therefore, Ashley's population increased and better school facilities were needed. In 1851, a school census was taken. It showed an enrollment of 111 children. By the year 1862, the enrollment had increased and the board had to open another building. Until 1874, one teacher had been employed to teach the entire school. The school had first grade to eighth. In the year 1918, the present school was built to hold the ever increasing number of students. Ashley has grown from two small log cabins with a population of seven people, to a thriving little village.
This information was researched and written by four third grade students at Buckeye Valley East Elementary School in Ashley, Ohio. It was done as part of a study of the history of Ashley, Ohio.

Contribute information for this community or any other community on the Key To TheCity website

Be sure to include the name of the community and its state when contacting Key to the City as you are NOT directly contacting this community.

Thanks for visiting Key to the City. Come back again! Soon!

The information on Key to the City is from multiple sources including government, commerce, libraries, individuals and organizations. There is no guarantee of the accuracy or timeliness of the information presented on these pages, therefore, please use at your own risk.



Search Key to the City
Custom Search
or Search anywhere on the Web
Custom Search