KEY TO THE CITY - USA City Directory Top USA City Resource Guide
Buckeye Valley East Elementary
522 East High Street
The school in Ashley may have had its beginning in about 1828. One of the early teachers included Daniel Granger. He taught during the winter of 1829-1830. He was paid only twelve dollars per month! He also taught in Delaware and had Rutherford B. Hayes as one of his students. The New York Central Railroad extended it's lines in the direction of Ashley in 1850. Therefore, Ashley's population increased and better school facilities were needed. In 1851, a school census was taken. It showed an enrollment of 111 children. By the year 1862, the enrollment had increased and the board had to open another building. Until 1874, one teacher had been employed to teach the entire school. The school had first grade to eighth. In the year 1918, the present school was built to hold the ever increasing number of students. Ashley has grown from two small log cabins with a population of seven people, to a thriving little village.
This information was researched and written by four third grade students at Buckeye Valley East Elementary School in Ashley, Ohio. It was done as part of a study of the history of Ashley, Ohio.
|Search Key to the City|
|Search All the Web|
To learn how to submit USA City information to Key to the City, go to Publication
Advertise on Key to the City
Use your back button to return to the previous page
To go to a new state, choose the States page
Return to the USA City Directory - Top USA City Resource Guide