Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Wood County, Ohio
The Love Bug City
The area was settled in 1860. The town was incorporated as New Baltimore on Feb.7, 1876, The name was changed to North Baltimore in 1880. The area was part of the section of Wood County known as "The Great Black Swamp."
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad came in October 1873. A Well was drilled on the Dave Fulton farm, about a mile north of town in Henry Township, in Dec. 1886. This started the Oil Boom in Wood County. Gas wells and offer of "FREE GAS" brought much industry to town, including three glass factories, brick factory, furniture factory, foundry, machine shop and other manufacturers. Major fires destroyed much of the main street business district in 1885,1888, 1891 when 35 of the town's 76 businesses were destroyed, including 13 of the village's 19 saloons, 1894, 1911 which destroyed the Henry Opera House for the third and final timeand more recently in 1978, and 1985. The latter fire caused the Village Hall, built in 1890, to be razed after it was said to be unstable due to demolition of the adjacent building that was destroyed by fire. historical information submitted by Bonnie Knaggs, village Historian, president of the North Baltimore Area Historical Society - 11/2000
Return to Index
Economy & Industry
Presently the area is home to Equity Meats of Ohio, Inc. makers of McDonald's hamburgers, Budd co. plastic parts manufacturers for autos D.S. Brown Co. makers of extruded rubber and steel products, Norbalt Johnson Rubber Co. Air Products suppliers of gasses for health care and manufacturers and several smaller manufacturers. It is also an important farming area, having some of the richest soil in Ohio.
Return to Index