Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Columbia County, Oregon
The Columbia River is largely responsible for the coming of Columbia City. Steamboats were launched on the river beginning with the combination sail and steam sidewheel ship, "Beaver," which was sailed in 1834 from London, England by the Hudson Bay Company. When it took its first voyage up the River, it went by the future site of Columbia City. An Indian fishing village known as "Cumahi" was the only thing they could see. River trade and travel continued to help the area to develop. The Caples Brothers of this city operated the Sternwheeler, "Metlako," taking both passengers and freight from Portland, Oregon to Woodland, Washington and other ports along the way. The Graham Brothers operated the Sternwheel, "Ottawa," out of Columbia City. The Caples ran a steam-powered ship, the "Victor," which now has its three-foot diameter, four-blade propeller on display at the Caples House Museum.
Return to Index
The official city site for Columbia City, Oregon
1840 Second Street
P.O. Box 189
Columbia City, OR 97018
Fax: 503-366-2870 E-mail: email@example.com
The city is governed with a Mayor/City Council form of government. There are four council members.
Miscellany The population of Columbia City was:
1990 - 1,003
2000 - 1,735