US Facts       Footsteps of History       It Happened Here      
Mottos, Slogans and Nicknames       Noted Notables


Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Wallowa County, Oregon


Page Contents for Lostine, Oregon

Statistics & Facts

History & History-related items

Statistics & Facts

The Oregon state capital is Salem.
The population of Lostine is approximately 231 (1990), 213 (2010).
The approximate number of families is 109 (1990), 95 (2010).
The amount of land area in Lostine is 0.807 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers.
The distance from Lostine to Washington DC is 2183 miles.
The distance to the Oregon state capital is 288 miles. (as the crow flies)
Lostine is positioned 45.48 degrees north of the equator and 117.42 degrees west of the prime meridian.

History & History Related Items

G. E. Laughlin built a small cabin on the site that is now known as Lostine. At the request of many settlers who were rapidly populating this area, a post office was established in 1878 and G.E. Laughlin was appointed postmaster. The name Lostine was given by Laughlin in remembrance of his former home in Lostine, Illinois. Shortly after his appointment, he left the valley and Mrs. Laughlin acted in the capacity of postmistress for many years. In 1880, Matthew Johnson opened a small store near the post office and then Frank Johnson erected a blacksmith shop. These three buildings and a few residences constituted Lostine for several years.

In time, in response to the demands of a growing community, the little hamlet added to its population and business enterprises, and soon it became necessary to lay out a town. John Rinehart had purchased the Laughlin property, and so in the early 80's, he plated the town of Lostine.

In August, 1893, the town received its first serious blow - fire destroyed nearly the whole business section. The flames destroyed the livery stables of L.V. Luttrell, and before the citizens could check the fire, the east side of Main Stree for an entire block was in ashes - the livery barn, the residences of James Masterson and John Parkyn, the butcher shop and two blacksmith shops. For a small town, this loss was a heavy one, and the more so as none of it was covered by insurance.

The Lostine Flouring Mill Company was organized in 1895, by local businessmen and farmers and a fine, fifty barrel mill was established. This building wa also destroyed by fire in 1897. But the need of a mill was so urgent that local investors erected a new mill in 1998, that was powered by the Wallowa River.

The Joseph & Elgin Stage Line, the only one in the valley, passed through Lostine, businesses were established and flourished - general stores, a drug store, hotel, butcher shop, tinshop, livery barn, millinery, blacksmith shop, boarding house, mill, planing mill, and a sawmill. At this early time, there were no saloons in the village. Lostine was incorporated in 1903.

The Lostine River was once called the South Fork of the Wallowa. Nez Perce for it was Ta-cab-tab-meh, the mouth of the river See-me-ne-cam, and the forks, See-me-ne-cam-mit. Old Joseph's main summer camp was here and he died in this vicinity. During the Bannock War Scare in 1878, a stockade was built by the settlers about three miles below Lostine.
Return to Index

The settling of Lostine


The incorporation of Lostine


Contribute information for this community or any other community on the Key To TheCity website

Be sure to include the name of the community and its state when contacting Key to the City as you are NOT directly contacting this community.

Thanks for visiting Key to the City. Come back again! Soon!

The information on Key to the City is from multiple sources including government, commerce, libraries, individuals and organizations. There is no guarantee of the accuracy or timeliness of the information presented on these pages, therefore, please use at your own risk.

Search Key to the City
Custom Search
or Search anywhere on the Web
Custom Search