Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Tillamook County, Oregon
"Land of Many Waters"
Chamber of Commerce.
Tillamook County was established on December 15, 1853. It was named after the Tillamook Indians who occupied the area at that time. In 1866, the town of Lincoln was renamed Tillamook because the post office was named Tillamook and they wanted the town and post office to be the same name.
The name, "Tillamook," means "land of many waters." There seem to have been many different spellings of the word Tillamook over the years. In the journals of Lewis & Clark, the Indians and area known as Tillamook was referred to as "Kilamox" and "Killamuck." As with many of the Pacific Northwest towns, Tillamook was first inhabited by Indians. But huge numbers died during a smallpox outbreak and the white man began to dominate the population.
In 1933, huge forest fires known as the "Tillamook Burn" destroyed over 250,000 acres of timber. The total economic loss was estimated to be in excess of 600 million dollars. In 1949, the Oregon State Board of Forestry began reseeding and planting trees in the Tillamook Burn area. Along with fishing, agriculture, lumber and recreation, dairy farms are a common site around the fertile valleys of Tillamook. They provide the milk necessary for the well-known Tillamook cheese.
Tillamook is a very interesting and fun place to visit and live! The next time you plan a trip to the Oregon Coast, stop in and say hello to Tillamook. (Submitted by Brittney Handley, High Desert Middle School)
Return to Index
Deep sea and fresh water fishing, golf, clamming, crabbing, birdwatching, hunting, surfing, wind-surfing, hang-gliding and Tillamook Cheese Factory.
Tillamook Naval Air Station Museum, County Pioneer Museum
The Tillamook Cheese Factory (most popular)
P.O. Box 313
Tillamook, Oregon 97141
Return to Index