Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Crawford County, Pennsylvania
Here is a history page for Cochranton.
Cochranton was chartered on April 5, 1855
The original town plot was surveyed by Cochran's son Joseph, the first school teacher, and was chartered as a borough on April 5, 1855. Today's borough is made up of the original land grants of John Adams and Thomas Cochran, for whom the village was named.
At various points in its history, Cochranton has suffered from about three major fires that destroyed entire blocks of the town.
For many years Cochranton hosted a fabulous Independence Day celebration which started early in the day with a huge parade including floats, various high school bands, and many antique cars. After the parade the celebration continued at the Cochranton Community Fairgrounds with a firemen's water battle, other events, and various concession stands opened on the grounds. A band commenced playing toward evening and the celebration ended with a nice firework display.
Cochranton has an old theater - Iris Theatre - which showed movies in the 1950's and is
still showing family movies in 2001 at the price of $ 3 per adult and $ 1.50 for children, and
under 6, free.
submitted by Ruth Zinz Gayetty former resident of Cochranton, now residing in Reno, PA 16343
Return to Index