YOUR KEY TO THE CITY

US Facts       Footsteps of History       It Happened Here      
Mottos, Slogans and Nicknames       Noted Notables


Home     SEARCH THE INTERNET



Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Avinger
Cass County, Texas

ZipCodes
75630




Page Contents for Avinger, Texas

Statistics & Facts

Location

History & History-related items

City Attractions

Chamber of Commerce.

Schools.

Miscellany



Statistics & Facts

The Texas state capital is Austin.
The population of Avinger is approximately 478 (1990), 444 (2010).
The approximate number of families is 222 (1990), 191 (2010).
The amount of land area in Avinger is 4.838 sq. kilometers.
The amount of surface water is 0.003 sq kilometers.
The distance from Avinger to Washington DC is 1103 miles.
The distance to the Texas state capital is 261 miles. (as the crow flies)
Avinger is positioned 32.89 degrees north of the equator and 94.55 degrees west of the prime meridian.

Location

in northeastern Texas near the Arkansas and Louisiana borders at the junction of State highways 49 and 155. Nearby communities include Hughes Springs, Lanier, Lassater and Linden.
Return to Index

History & History Related Items

The area was first known as Hickory Hill when it was settled around 1840. The East Line and Red River Railroad came through in 1876 and a train station was built where Avinger would be situated. Soon businesses began to come to the new town and eventually the post office relocated from Hickory Hill in 1877. The post office and town were re-named for Dr. H.J. Avinger, in whose store the post office was located. By 1884, the town had a population of 50 with a school and several mills. By 1892, the population had grown to 100 people and just a few years later in 1914 to about 500. Avinger grew little for a number of years with just five more residents in 1925 bringing the total to 505 at that time. In 1929, there were about 700 people in Avinger. The depression hit the community hard and many left, dropping the population to about 450 in 1931. The town of Avinger incorporated during this time. During World War II, a steel plant was built here and in the post war years, many renovations were begun. By 1960, the population had risen to its high of 750. Decreasing population has occurred since that time with about 478 at the time of the 1990 census.

Here is a history page for Avinger.
Return to Index

Attractions

Home of the Wildflower Trails held each year in April.
Return to Index


Avinger Chamber

Avinger, Texas Chamber of Commerce
#8 Main Street
Avinger, TX 75630
Phone: 903-562-1325

Avinger Organizations

Avinger, Texas Chamber of Commerce
#8 Main Street
Avinger, TX 75630
Phone: 903-562-1325

Avinger Schools

Avinger ISD
245 Connor Street
Avinger, Texas 75630
Phone: 903-562-1355
Fax: 903-562-1271 Avinger

Miscellany

The population of Avinger was:
1884 - 50
1892 - 100
1914 - 500
1925 - 505
1929 - 700
1931 - 450
1960 - 750
1980 - 671
1990 - 478

Contribute information for this community or any other community on the Key To TheCity website

Be sure to include the name of the community and its state when contacting Key to the City as you are NOT directly contacting this community.

Thanks for visiting Key to the City. Come back again! Soon!

The information on Key to the City is from multiple sources including government, commerce, libraries, individuals and organizations. There is no guarantee of the accuracy or timeliness of the information presented on these pages, therefore, please use at your own risk.



Search Key to the City
Custom Search
or Search anywhere on the Web
Custom Search