Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Brown County, Texas
Brownwwod was established in 1856. The city soon became one of state's largest cotton buying centers. Oil was discovered in the 1920's and has seen substantial industrial development in recent decades. A number of fine old structures of native sandstone-homes, a former mill, stores, and schools-are reminders of city's history.
Home of Howard Payne Univ. U.S. Department of Agriculture's W. R. Poage Pecan Field Station has been located here since 1939; 16 new varieties have been developed since 1953.
Return to Index
The Brown County Museum of History houses seven rooms of exhibits in old, castle-like jail. Brown county history, and evolution of communications exhibit in room sponsored by West Texas Pioneer Telephone Club. Open Wed. 1-4p.m., Sat. 11a.m-4p.m. 200 block of N. Broadway near courthouse.
The Camp Bowie Memorial Park honors men of famed 26th Infantry Division ("T-Patch"). The small park features vintage military equipment, canon, armor. Located at the intersection of Burnett Dr. and Travis Rd., Camp Bowie Industrial Area.
The Douglas MacArthur Academy of Freedom (An Affiliate of Howard Paine Univ.) specializes in history and government in the context of western civilization. The academy is dedicated to Gen. Douglas MacArthur and displays some of his personal souvenirs. The unique settings, such as, Mediterranean Room flanked by replicas of Egyptian tomb statues; Magna Carta Hall replica of English castle room; replica of meeting room in Philadelphia's Independence Hall. Magnificent three-story mural highlights academy entrance.
Tours Mon.-Sat. while school is in session
Call 915/646-2502. Austin Ave. (F. M. 2524) at Coggin St.
Lake Brownwood is located North of the city of Brownwood TX. Lake Brownwood is near the geographical center of Texas. The Lake is a 7300-surface-acre reservoir created by damming Pecan Bayou, which was a tributary of the Colorado River. There is a wide variety of fish in the lake. Large Mouth Bass, White Bass, Stripers, White Crappie, Yellow Cat, Flathead Cat, Perch, and Gar
Lake Brownwood State Park is a 538 acre park offering swimming, fishing, boating, hiking, camping, nature study, trailer facilities, rest rooms, shelters, cabins, and group camp accommodations. 23 miles northwest via Texas 279 and Park Road 15. Admission.
Return to Index