Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Brazoria County, Texas
Early Spanish explorers landed here in 1528. They only lasted here a short while with disease and hostile conditions decimating their group from 80 to 15 members. Quintana was named for General Adreas Quintana, the deputy minister of Mexican Foreign and Internal Affairs. He was for Austin's efforts to colonize the area in 1832. The town was platted in 1833 and was a popular resort for the local plantation owners. They built huge vacation homes, some of which are still standing today. Hurricanes were unleashed on the area many times over the years, but each time, the residents rebuilt their homes and businesses and moved forward. But,after the 1915 hurricane, few residents remained turning it into a real ghost town. The Intercoastal Canal was built in 1933 by the Corps of Engineers. It was at this time that Quintana was made into an island.
Two gun mounds were built in 1941 and equipped with anti-aircraft guns by the government. All that remains today are the huge mounds on the edge of Quintana Beach. As of 2004, there is now an 8" Howletizer sitting on one of the mounds, this was just recently put in place.
Return to Index
Quintana is a man-made island on the Gulf of Mexico. The Brazos River is on its west end. The Ship Channel is on the east end. Quintana has the last swing bridge of Brazoria County. We also have the Intercoastal Canal.
Quintana Bird Sanctuary
established in 1994, the area is across from the Town Hall. The land has been set aside for the migration of neotropical birds. Many different species of birds, butterflies, native plants and small animals may be found here.
This historic home was moved to the Quintana County Park. Henry Seaborn came to Quintana from Germany before 1820 and began to build sailing vessels. He built eight boats and his crews operated them.
Return to Index