Choose from the following:
|Appomattox Court House National Historic Park||Booker T. Washington|
|City Cemetery & Gardens||Community Market|
|Diamond Hill||Maier Museum of Art|
|Point of Honor||Poplar Forest|
|Red Hill||The Anne Spencer House and Garden|
|The Appalachian Trail||The Lynchburg Fine Arts Center|
|The Lynchburg Hillcats||The Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra|
|The Ninth Street Bridge||The Old Courthouse|
Why is it called Diamond Hill? No one knows. When the area was annexed by Lynchburg in 1870, it was already using this name. The 1890's were its "boom" years. Many of these older homes were plowed down for newer homes, but some remain today. Until WWII, this area flourished, then the area began to decline. The Historical Society, formed in 1974, has been the driving force behind the restoration of this area.
Contact the Diamond Hill Historical
P.O. Box 803
Lynchburg, VA 24505
Main at 12th in Lynchburg, VA 24504
Steeped in tradition, people have
been coming to "market" for over 200 years! Thomas Jefferson came
often during his visits to Poplar Forest. Open Mon-Fri 7 am - 2 pm and Sat.
6 am - 2 pm. Phone: 434 847-1499 for more information. Special events all year
Point of Honor
George Cabell's Mansion on the James River
This mansion is located on Daniel's Hill above the James River. Completely renovated, you may see a wonderful example of Federal style residential architecture. It was built about 1815 by Dr. George Cabell, Sr., a famous physician.
Open daily 1 pm to 4 pm. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas and New Years Day
For reservations and information call or write:
Lynchburg Museum System
P.O. Box 60
Lynchburg, VA 24505
Phone: (434) 847-1459
The Old Courthouse
Built c. 1855, it houses the Lynchburg Museum system. There are several exhibits of the city's history through different eras. The restoration of this building has brought the courthouse back to its original 1855 splendor. It is open daily from 1 - 4 pm except for specific major holidays. Please call 434 847-1459 for more information.
The Anne Spencer House and Garden
1313 Pierce Street
Lynchburg, VA 24501
Phone: 434 845-1313
Anne Spencer was an internationally acclaimed poet who was part of the Harlem Renaissance. The garden, which served as inspiration for much of her poetry, was restored in the 1980s and is open without charge from 10 am - 4 pm, Mon - Sat. The house is open by appointment.
City Cemetery & Gardens
4th and Taylor Streets. Also known as the "Old Methodist Cemetery". This is a registered historic landmark, using land first donated in 1806 by city founder, John Lynch. One of the gardens, the medicinal garden, is well-known. Open from dawn to dusk. Call 434 847-1459 for more information.
Poplar Forest is Thomas Jefferson's retreat from Monticello. It is located just west of Lynchburg in Bedford County. It is one of the first octagonal homes in the country. Annual Independence Celebration on July 4th. The retreat is open from April through November on Wed - Sun. from 10 am - 4 pm. Fee for admission.
The Corporation for Jefferson's
P.O. Box 419
Forest, VA 24551
Phone: (434) 525-1806
Booker T. Washington
The first president of Tuskegee Institute was born near Lynchburg on a tobacco plantation. His log cabin home and the plantation have been restored and reconstructed at Booker T. Washington National Monument at Rocky Mount, in nearby Bedford County. Open 8:30 am - 5 pm daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.
The Appalachian Trail
The trail runs from Springer Mountain, GA to Mount Katahdin, Maine - stretching 2,000 miles. There are several places near Lynchburg to access this poplar hiking trail.
The Lynchburg Hillcats
An affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates, the Hillcats are the areas only Single A professional sports team. They play in the Carolina League at Lynchburg City Stadium
The Lynchburg Fine Arts Center
One of the oldest continuous community theatre groups in the country. Both musical theatre and drama are presented during the season at the center. Performances of music, dance and theatre are performed during the entire year. Phone: 434 846-3804
The Lynchburg Symphony Orchestra
Quality, classical music is presented in concert during the season. Young people's concerts and a summer outdoor concert with fireworks are among their special activities. For more information, please call 434 845-6604
Ninth Street Bridge - Canal Arch
at the foot of Ninth Street.
This is the oldest structure in this area. A stone bridge, it now carries Ninth Street over the James River and Kanawha Canal. An inscription above the keystone of the arch reads: "Built A.D. 1839 by J.S. King."
Appomattox Court House National Historic Park
Just east of Lynchburg, this marks the site of the end of the Civil War. Period-dressed interpreters can answer your questions about the specifics of that time. Hours: 9 am - 5 pm daily. Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, M.L. King, Jr. Day, and President's Day. Call 434 352-8987 for more information
Maier Museum of Art
A collection of 19th
and 20th century artwork are located in this museum on the campus
of Randolph-Macon Woman's College.
Please call 434 947-8136 for more information.
2500 Rivermont Ave.
Lynchburg, VA 24503
The last home and the burial place of Patrick Henry is located southeast of Brookneal near Lynchburg. Tours are available. Please call 434 376-2044 for more information.
|Search Key to the City||or
Search anywhere on the Web
Return to the Lynchburg
Return to the Virginia state page
Choose a new state on the States page
This page was last updated on 30 June 2012 at 4:24 pm
Return to the Top USA City Resource Guide and Cities Directory - Key to the City home page
Thanks for coming! Don't forget to come back soon.