KEY TO THE CITY - USA City Directory Top USA City Resource Guide
New Hope Community Church
Pastor: James E. Johnson
4072 County Road H & O
Junction City, WI 54443
NEW HOPE COMMUNITY CHURCH (Formerly Community Evangelical Free Church)
Christian work began in 1882 as families began to settle in the area known as Runkels, North of Junction City, Wisconsin. As more settlers of Scandinavia origin came, the little band was strengthened and began to grow.
In 1886 a Sunday School was organized under the leadership of Charles Swanson, who was elected as the first superintendent. There was no permanent pastor at this time but traveling Evangelists and ministers came which helped to encourage this young community of Christians, many of the families were readers of the Chicago-Bladet and had been converted through the ministry of the Free Church. The work became affiliated with the Swedish Evangelical Free Church of America.
In 1891, the church was organized with seventeen charter members. November 4, 1892, the church was incorporated as a religious society in Portage County, Wisconsin and was given the name "The Swedish Evangelical Independent Brethren Congregation" and the church building was erected.
Charles Swanson (grandfather of the present pastor's wife, Ruthann Borth Johnson) was elected as chairman for a three year term. He was elected successively and served in that capacity until he resigned in 1935.
(Information from the Centennial Cook Book)
|Search Key to the City|
|Search All the Web|
Advertise on Key to the City
To go to a new state, choose the States page
Return to the USA City Directory - Top USA City Resource Guide
Thanks for coming! Don't forget to come back soon!!