Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Berkeley County, West Virginia
Hedgesville, as a political entity, is older than the State of West Virginia, being incorporated under the laws of Virginia in 1854. It was platted in 1830 from land owned by Josiah Hedges and Mary Claycomb; these plots came from the Lord Fairfax and Westenhaver grants. The town grew from a trading village in the gap of the North Mountain for settlers moving west. The location of town was made at the site of a natural limestone spring which had been an Indian meeting place before the white man came into the region. In the 1880's through 1920 it was a summer resort town with a large Victorian hotel, Mt. Clifton, and a smaller Summit House, providing summer lodging for guests from Washington, D. C. and Baltimore, MD. George Washington, while a young man and a surveyor came into the area and worshipped at the site of what is now Mt. Zion Episcopal Church. John Marshall of the founding US Supreme Court had a sister who likewise attended the church. The little village was much crossed by invading armies of both the North and South in the Civil War. A mile east of the village the Battle of North Mountain was fought that resulted in the capture of 1,500 Union soldiers who were marched into the south and prisoner of war camps.
The town is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U. S. Department of the Interior as the Hedgesville Historic District.
Return to Index