Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Custer County, Oklahoma
Chamber of Commerce.
Here is a map page for the city.
Return to Index
seasonal with all four seasons represented. Winters are fairly mild with an average January temperature of 43 degrees. In summer it is mostly dry with an average temperature of about 81 degrees.
Return to Index
Weatherford began back in 1892 about the time of the third great land run here in Oklahoma. People congregated at the western border of Cheyenne and Arapaho Counties. One of these, William J. Weatherford, grabbed a quarter section he called Jordan Flats. He, along with his family, some extended family and two hired hands, began by living in a temporary dugout. Water was found and wells were dug. Then, as supplies came in, they built homes. Supplies also were coming in to nearby Minco and El Reno and the homestead began to be a trail stop on the way. By August 1893, a post office was placed in the residence. Mrs. Weatherford, having had previous experience as a postmistress, was engaged in this capacity again. The home was also used as a school and a church for the area.
Soon other businesses began to open including a blacksmith shop and a sawmill. Now with more residents and businesses, the homestead had begun to become known as Weatherford Settlement. When the Choctaw, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad began moving west from El Reno around 1898, Weatherford Settlement was the recipient of a gift from the railroad when they placed the terminus just two miles from the community. Beeks Erick, a local businessman, founded the present City of Weatherford. He was the site manager when the land was purchased on 16 July 1898. After surveying was completed, lots were sold. The plat was dated 6 August 1898. The first businesses were grocery stores, a hotel and a restaurant. They had no buildings but opened their businesses from tents. It wasnít long before permanent establishments were built and the area blossomed. The first railroad engine arrived in November of 1898 and with it more prosperity with Weatherford becoming a center for trade and the receiving of crops, livestock and other goods. The name of Dewey was chosen for the new town, but when application was made for the post office, there turned out to be another Dewey in the territory. The old Weatherford post office was now in the home of a Mrs. Hawkins. It was decided to close this branch and open a new one in the new town which would be named Weatherford.
Along with the railroad came a number of saloons that gave the new community a somewhat wild reputation. Once the railroad expanded its lines further west, the growth slowed and the reasons for the wild west reputation slowly evaporated.
The city was incorporated in 1898 with the first election held on 2 May of that year. The first Mayor was Beeks Erick, the town's first manager. The first school building was built in 1904, though school had been in session for many years before that time.
When Route 66 came through, Weatherford was already an established community, though the existence of the Mother Road through town didnít hurt at all.
the General Thomas P. Stafford Air and Space Museum
Weatherford is the birthplace of Thomas P. Stafford, America's thirteenth (13th) man into space.
Located at the airport
The Museum displays information about the military and space career of General Stafford. Items on display include NASA photographs, models, space suit, award and much more.
Return to Index