Home
US Facts
Footsteps of
History
It Happened Here
Mottos, Slogans
and Nicknames
Noted Notables


Beacon Tennessee History Summary
SEARCH KEY TO THE CITY or anywhere on the web


 

Beacon, a town of about 150 citizens, four miles west of Parsons, was

first known as "Moray." When the Tennessee Midland Railroad Company Line came through Decatur County, the name was changed to Beacon.

The once thriving little town had a postoffice, depot, Doctors office, Barber shop mercantile stores , Blacksmith shops, Grist Mill, Telephone Company, Tomato Shed, school churches and a cafe. > Mercantile operators here have been Jess Long, Will Dodd, Ike Smith Ches Myracle and Glen Tolley. Charley Thomas and Jess Long operated the two cotton gins and the Black smith shops were run by Jim Bartholomew and Riley Hobbs as well as grist mills. Bill O'Guinn owned the home telephone company and the operators were Miss Ethel Hayes and her sister Miss Carrie Hayes.<br>

The economy was boosted in the town by the sale of tomatoes around the 1920's. During harvesting, a tomato shed was operated and anyone in the community who wanted work was engaged in wrapping tomatoes which were shipped to market on the "peevine" train.<br>

The Baptist church and the Church of Christ have been established for many decades. <br>

A famous baseball team here usually furnished entertainment at the 4th of July picnics. Neighboring citizens from Parsons would go up on the train and attend the fun and frolics.

A flour mill located one mile south of Beacon on Beach River, was known as Dixie Flour Mill.<br>

The meeting place for the residents was the Postoffice, which has been located in numerous places during the towns history. Business men usually served as postmasters and the postoffice was located in their stores.<br>

Early settlers of Beacon include Chumneys, Wallaces, Longs, Hayes, McCormicks, Douglas, O'Guinns, Keens and Myracles.<br>

An old cemetery is located here, long forgotten by the descendants. One very important character, Henry Myracle, founder of Parsons, is buried here, as well as many others.

On March 16th 1942, Beacon was partially destroyed by a cyclone. There was only one casualty, Bill O'Quinn, a senior citizen was killed. His wife was injured, however, she survived. Now the hub of Beacon is the Beacon Community Center.

This historical information is mainly from the Decatur County History Book.

top



Search Key to the City
Custom Search
or Search anywhere on the Web
Custom Search


Return to the Beacon city page.
Return to the Tennessee state page.
Choose a new state on the States page

Return to the Top USA City Resource Guide and Cities Directory - Key to the City home page

This page was last updated on 6 July 2012 at 11:20 pm

Thanks for coming! Don't forget to come back soon.