Here is a good history page by the students of Hanksville Elementary.
This remote area was known as Graves Valley until the late 1800's. This name was given by John Wesley Powell survey expedition member, Walter Graves, who had mapped the region. In 1882, a group led by Ebenezer Hanks came into the valley to settle. Homes were built and the little community grew. Founder, Hanks, died after a fall only two years after he arrived. In 1885, when the first post office was built, the name was changed from Graves Valley to Hanksville to honor the late founder, Hanks. By 1890 there were about 20 families in residence. The area was slow to develop due to its remote location.
Utilities which are today taken for granted came slowly to Hanksville. Phone service started in 1913 and was finally updated in 1960. The community did not have electricity until 1960. Most residents used generators for their electricity needs. Mining was a major activity in this area. The Bromide mine in the Henry Mountains was opened in 1889. The ore was treated at Crescent Creek. Today, not only mining, but also agriculture and tourism are the center of the area's economy.
Goblin Valley State Park
located between Green River and Hanksville off State Route 24. The park has 3,014 acres. Eroded rock formations make great photographic opportunities. Hiking trails abound. The park is open year-round. There is a campground, rest rooms, showers, disposal station and more