Welcome To KEY TO THE CITY's Page For
Caddo County, Oklahoma
Bridgeport is considered by many to be a real ghost town. Back in the heyday of Historic Route 66, Bridgeport was included on the route. It was bypassed in 1933 when the alignment was changed. Many moved from Bridgeport at that time to the area of the new alignment so they could remain in business. The Pony Bridge was built in 1933 and effectively sealed the fate of the Bridgeport. Before that time, Bridgeport was the western end of a safe Canadian River crossing. A suspension bridge, known as the Key Bridge, built by George Key in 1921, collected tolls for crossing the river, making a large profit for the owner. He charged $ 1.00 for cars and $ 1.50 for trucks, a high price for the day. The bridge was purchased by the state in 1930 and the tolls were stopped at that time. At the time of the purchase, the state already had plans for the new Pony Bridge. Following its opening in 1933, the Key Bridge was rarely used and was finally scrapped.
See a couple of great pictures of old buildings in Bridgeport.
Though only home to a handful of people, some old artifacts and buildings may be seen here. The old First Methodist Church, built in 1907, was still standing in 2006. Remains of such buildings as the old post office, water tower and motel and café may still be found here.
Return to Index